Losing someone in your life is never easy: that’s why it’s really important to reach out to those you know who’ve recently suffered a bereavement. Even though finding the right words to write in a sympathy card can feel difficult, sending a thoughtful condolence message lets them know that they have your support and that they’re not alone. To help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of condolence card message examples and quotes that are appropriate for your sympathy card.
Condolence Messages For Family
- My heart aches to hear this news. I’m praying for everyone.
- I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m going to miss her/him too.
- What a beautiful life s/he lived. I’m so very sorry for your loss.
- As you go through this difficult time, remember that you are so loved.
- I wish I could be there to comfort you as you grieve. I’m holding you in my heart.
- My heart goes out to you and to everyone who loved her/him. This is such a huge loss.
- I have such precious childhood memories of your mum/dad. I know you’ll miss her/him so much.
- Your mum/dad was such an incredible person. No one can ever replace him/her.
- Your father/mother was like a second dad/mum to me growing up. I’ve always remembered the good times and the lessons s/he taught me. All my love in this hard time.
- I can’t imagine the pain you’re feeling. I’m here if you need to talk.
Sympathy Sentiment For Friends
- I love you and I’m here for you.
- Please know that your friends love you and are here for you.
- My heart is heavy today, and I know yours is too.
- You and your family are in my thoughts as you grieve this loss. All my love.
- What a great loss to the world. S/he will be missed by so many.
- What a lovely person, who will be deeply missed.
- A lifetime together is never enough. I am thinking of both of you with so much love.
- I know your love will always continue, even though you are parted.
- I never met your mum/dad, but I can tell how wonderful s/he must have been just by knowing you. We reflect the best parts of our parents thanks to the loving way they raised us. Take comfort in your memories as you grieve.
- I wish I had been able to meet your sister/brother. I know from your stories how special s/he was.
- Please know I’m here for you and I’m thinking of you all the time.
Thinking Of You Sentiment For Colleagues
- There are no words for such an unimaginable loss. You’re in my thoughts/prayers/heart.
- I was so saddened to hear this shocking news. My heart goes out to you at this time of grief.
- My heart goes out to you after this sudden loss. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.
- You and your family are in my thoughts as you grieve this loss.
- Words can’t describe how sorry I am at this loss. You’re in my prayers.
- Please accept our deepest condolences for your loss.
- My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
- I’m stunned by this news. I’m so very sorry for your loss.
In Memory Quotes
- “As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” –Leonardo Da Vinci
- “What is lovely never dies, But passes into other loveliness.” –Thomas Bailey Aldrich
- “Darkness may hide the trees and the flowers from the eyes but it cannot hide love from the soul.” –Rumi
- “May you take comfort in knowing there is one more angel above us.” –Unknown
- “The Remembrance of the good done those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them.” –Demoustier
- “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” –Mahatma Gandhi
- “It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember”. –Unknown
- “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” –Thomas Campbell
- “Grief never ends, but it changes. It’s a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love.” – Unknown
- “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” –Terri Guillemets
- “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
- “There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains.” – Unknown
If you give or receive sympathy gifts or cards, and would like share with us on social media, please tag us using @snapfishuk in your photos on Instagram or Facebook or use the hashtag #snapfishuk. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Pinterest, too!